Monday, September 15, 2008

nevermore

So said Edgar Allen Poe's Raven. I'm in Baltimore and for some reason that poem is synonymous with this city in my mind. I'm guessing because of the football team - which is kind of sad.

Today we visited a very famous deli, not to me so much, but apparently to many politicians and dignitaries whose pictures hung on the walls. Attman's Deli supposedly has the best corned beef sandwiches in the world - I was worried I wouldn't be allowed to eat there. Luckily my fear subsided when I saw this picture.

It was an odd venue, a relic to Baltimore on what used to be "Corned Beef Row" in a Jewish neighborhood, but now the last standing bastion among completely redeveloped, redundant rows of town homes. It was hard to miss from a block away. (Notice the street it's on - Horseradish Lane - awesome)

I ordered the double-stacked corned beef and spicy mustard on rye and a potato pancake. It was delicious and an unexpected treat as I had never heard of Attman's before we stumbled upon it today. Best in the world? Hard to say, but I would LOVE to be the one to find out.

I end with this quote, again from the poem - actually the first line - which perfectly describes this blog: "Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary..."

No comments: