Wednesday, September 10, 2008

inspiration abound

A day in our nation's capitol provided me with a fair amount of pictures and even more inner dialogue.
  • No matter where you stand, ANYWHERE around the mall and the monuments, you are in the way of someone's picture.
  • As a duck, what does it take to be able to call the Reflection Pool your home? Are these ivy league educated, government ducks? And are they security screened like the rest of us?
  • The Lincoln Memorial is simple, but powerful. His "Four Score" speech is undoubtedly one of the greatest of all time - presidents just aren't made the same anymore for creating that type of patriotism, although I have a good feeling about one of the current candidates. I just hope politics don't get in the way.
  • I hadn't seen the FDR memorial before, but it quickly became a favorite. As with many others, I appreciate the inclusion of water in the monuments. And I am currently at a point in my life where this particular quote seemed rather pertinent: "The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today. Let us move forward with strong and active faith."
  • I hadn't seen the Jefferson memorial either. It was simple as well, but offered a great view of the White House across the water (top picture).
Overall, a beautiful day in an amazing place. Whitney and I spent a lot of time here last summer and saw almost all of the sights, but they will never become less impressive. You can't help but feel a little more inspired and a little more patriotic walking around the democratic hub of our country.

1 comment:

Connie D. said...

Glad you finally got to see the FDR memorial. Now you can see why it's my favorite!!