Saturday, September 6, 2008

burgers and fries and margs...oh my

Last night Whitney and I visited the Village Burger Bar, a tasty little restaurant in Uptown, around the block from where her brother lives.

(Whitney wondered at what point I would introduce her to "all" of my blog readers. So this is Whitney, pictured right, my wonderful, beautiful, smart, inspiring, and a whole bunch of other adjectives she came up with to describe herself, girlfriend - but I love her a lot and do think all those things about her, so I guess she's just perceptive)

The Burger Bar is a trendy-yet-casual establishment where you order at the counter, take a number and take a seat to wait for your food. The also have a full bar and offer half-priced margaritas on Friday's, an irresistible deal which typically results in drinking twice as much rather than paying half. Either way, it works. Whitney recommended we deviate from the past and split a cheeseburger, a basket of sweet potato fries and a chopped Mediterranean salad. I was leary about not devouring an entire burger myself (making me think of the genius Wendy's meat-itarian commercial), but the salad was enormous, full of chicken, veggies, croutons, etc. and it was a fantastic compliment to the burger...and fries...and margs. I am partial to the Sangarita (sangria flavored margarita), but I like the pomegranate flavor as well.

(Tangent: I have mentioned this to a few people already, but I'm certain Sangria is not only the new "it" drink, but the new "it" flavor. Sangria is the new Mojito. Start looking for it to infiltrate other areas like gum, ice cream, etc. Once something catches on, the marketing world rides that wave until it ends up bloated on the beach - current example, everything remotely associated to Italian food is suddenly from Tuscany and the chipotle flavor has taken over everything from mayonnaise to BBQ sauce. Pomegranate is hot right now, too.)

The meal was great although the service usually seems sub-par. It's three guys behind a counter that look like they should be standing in line outside of a night club rather than taking burger orders. But the food is good and half price drinks are always a bonus. In the future, if you need to get a hold of me on Fridays from 6-9pm, you'll have just as much luck calling the restaurant.

1 comment:

Molly said...

I like the new blog... however you are making me look bad by posting everyday! jeez thanks a lot