Thursday, September 18, 2008

brotherly love of cheese steak

I love food. It's no secret, so this job offers a tremendous chance to sample local fare from some of the best food regions in the country.

I'm not sure I would put Philadelphia in that category, but they are known for one thing above all else: the cheese steak. And it's important, while venturing out, to find the best of the best locations for those specific delicacies. Not the most expensive location - sometimes far from it - but the truest form of that food, a place locals frequent to get their fix. That place in Philadelphia is Tony Luke's.

We ate at Tony Jr's yesterday where I experienced my first "real" cheese steak - the one with the Wiz. It was very good. Simple, but tasty, with only steak, fried onions, and cheese wiz. Tony Jr's is another location of Tony Luke's - smaller, with a slightly scaled down menu, and in downtown.

Today we went to the actual Tony Luke's, a few miles south of downtown - with a line seemingly a few miles further south. This was obviously "THE" place to get a cheese steak. I ordered another, this time with white American cheese and (unintentionally) without onions. It too, was quite good and I'm now a temporary Philly fanatic.

1 comment:

Connie D. said...

What a line!! It must be good! Please send me one.