Tuesday, September 9, 2008

green with delight

I went to workout at a gym down the street from our hotel this afternoon and passed an interesting looking eating establishment. I keep seeing salad restaurants pop up all over the place and they ALWAYS seemed to be packed. I ate at one in San Francisco (Marissa, help me out with the name?) which was good, but I'm still confused by the intense demand. Apparently I haven't caught on to the health food craze.

Today's version was called Chop't and inevitably featured...you guessed it, salad. And salad sandwiches, which were wraps. Molly mentioned she had gone to the same store in New York and highly recommended it. As this was only my second salad-exclusive experience, I can't say for certain if competitors have the same philosophy of chopping, tossing and mixing - but I liked it.

I had the Monterey, which included ice berg lettuce, grilled chicken, tomatoes, red onions, tortilla strips and a sweet/smokey chipotle vinaigrette dressing (and I added avocados). They also grilled the tortilla before wrapping it, which makes a big difference. My order was taken, passed down the line where the ingredients were put into the bowl, which was then given to a "salad dude", who chopped everything (look how fast his hands are moving!) and wrapped it up. It tasted much better than I was expecting, so much so that I am actually considering going back before we swtich hotels on Thursday - perhaps I am becoming somewhat of a salad enthusiast.

2 comments:

Connie D. said...

It was called "mixt Greens".

Marissa DeMercurio said...

She's right, and she got the spelling right, too. Although, you can't really say it's exclusively salads, as you had a sandwich for lunch that day, if I do recall.
In San Fran, the appeal is organic, farm-fed, locally raised, healthy food. You could go on either side of any of the 3 Mixt Greens and find a McDonald's or Subway, but it's a higher-end option for the health conscious, and a great place for businesses to cater to clients and employees without adding to the obesity epidemic. You don't find any Mixt Greens outside the Financial District in SF, at least not yet.