Monday, October 27, 2008

take note

I realize it has been some time since my last post and the natives are getting restless. My excuse? I am in the awful habit of writing at the end of the day, well past the midnight hour, and quite frankly, I needed to catch up on sleep. To summarize recent events, here is a little "notes column" action, enjoy...

...Marathons are difficult. Twenty-six (point two) miles is a long way to run. I won't be doing another one for a while...

...Want to know what else is long? This marketing tour...

...After having to lean on both my dad (NYC) and my mom (MCM) to finish different marathons, I have come to the conclusion they are truly phenomenal people. I'd like to think I could have finished the races without them, but I'm really glad I didn't have to find out. I'm very lucky...

...Various inspirations bounced around my head as I plodded, step after step, throughout the streets of DC. My family, both close and extended, and their positivity and support. Whitney and her efforts to take up one of my passions as she trains for the Dallas White Rock Half Marathon, Dec. 14. My livestrong bracelet, Whitney's brother Ryan, and other people who overcome so much more than recreationally jogging for hours. The massive amount of bling that would be draped around my neck after finishing. Several passages from the book "50/50," by Dean Karnazes. A delicious, guilt-free dinner in great company. The ability to proudly don a new marathon jacket. And of course, all the Marines and people serving our country...

...I still have no idea how to remove the pace tattoo from my arm, which isn't nearly as cool two days later, half-way rubbed off...

...Disclaimer: In no way do I recommend the training program which I followed to run this marathon...

...This weekend just worked. Our hotel, which we booked at the last minute, turned out to be in a perfect location (by that, I mean right by Chop't). We were able to find convenient parking for the trucks without any issues. The weather, which was rainy on Saturday and cold/windy today, was absolutely ideal on race day...

...It was ironic this was the 33rd Marine Corps Marathon and it was my 33rd event on this tour...

...Off the race topic, I was able to go see our Nation's oldest and most significant documents at the National Archives. Pretty incredible. Those men were visionaries...

...Whitney sent me on a hunt to find the "Secret" monument, which is located on the south side of the reflecting pool. It was a gazebo-like structure, that was situated back in the woods. Oviously not a huge secret, but I bet a lot of people miss that one on their bus tours!...

...Chop't is still delicious. Chipotle is always delicious...

...The Georgetown area is really nice. REALLY expensive, but nice...

...The Metro is my favorite transit system in the country (beside the M Car trolley by our new apartment in Dallas). It's cheap, fast, and easy - [insert joke here]...

...My cousin Tiff is very pregnant. I'm going on the record as saying it's going to be a girl...

...I'm very sore and very tired. Until tomorrow...

1 comment:

Connie D. said...

So glad I got to be a part of this!!