Saturday, October 11, 2008

at your service

I've had a wide array of McDonald's experiences throughout this marketing tour and more often than not, and as weird as it sounds, it's because of a necessity to eat there. There aren't a whole lot of options on the road, particularly in small towns along the way (see: Wells, NV). In cities I would never dare eat at McDonald's, and cities like Chicago with amazing food? Shoot me first.

Well, get out your gun.

As cool as it was to be at McCormick Place for the Chicago Marathon expo, I was utterly dumbfounded by the lack of food options. McCormick Place is a city, in and of itself, with multiple food courts throughout the complex, but the problem was none of them were open. If the Chicago Marathon expo, with its 45,000 participants and thousands of other attendees, doesn't warrant opening the food court, what does? Honestly, there was an Au Bon Pain with $10 sandwiches and various food carts (ie churros - and no mom, not the good kind), but literally dozens of other eateries remained dim and vacant.

Whereas the Chicago triathlon expo we worked earlier this summer was surrounded by the rest of downtown with limitless food options, McCormick place is fairly isolated, hence the need for food courts. I made the unfortunate decision to walk down the block to the one other "restaurant" - McD's. I was in line as soon as I passed through the door. That is to say that the three lines were no less than 15 deep, but I thought, "It's fast food, right?" Wrong.

What I was hoping for was to get off my feet for a spell, instead I stood inline for the better part of an hour. Not so much fun. Unrest began to spread amongst in the crowd, in which I was a distinct minority, as I approached the front of the line. I took my food and bolted, leaving behind what may have morphed into an angry, pitch fork wielding mob or perhaps something that resembled the Nike booth at the end of the expo:

Headless naked people and a bronzed woman passed out in mid-celebration - is this how you "just do it"? Must have been one heck of a party.

No comments: